Nelson’s expert guidance, pragmatic focus and ability to challenge, as well as inspire, has positively impacted Angel Investors and Angel Groups across the world. He has supported thousands of Business Angels to navigate their journey and be better equipped to avoid common pitfalls; to enjoy the experience of investing and often reach that elusive positive EXIT.
Nelson’s workshops and courses offer valuable direction for the key steps in the process:
- Introduction to Angel Investing – separating the myth from the reality, what differentiates successful Angels from the rest. First-hand experience of hundreds of investments;
- Angel Groups –how to leverage the power of individual experience. Nelson has set up and managed groups successfully and knows how to make them work for everyone;
- Deal Flow – how to ensure you get the right (best match) kind of deals coming your way. Understanding the wider stakeholder community responsible for supporting entrepreneurs in developing their propositions;
- Screening – on FIT and FACTS. Getting clarity on your personal investment criteria and communicating them to those looking for your money;
- Pitch Event – Evaluating the elevator pitch, executive summary, business plan and of course the pitch event. Guidance on how to set up and run a pitch event for a group of investors and get to a good decision;
- Due Diligence – Identifying those critical make or break factors that failed investments have overlooked. Check-lists and best practices to run the full due diligence process;
- Valuation – Science or Magic? Nelson demystifies models and methodologies used to value early stage and pre-revenue companies and explains the realities of Valuation;
- Legals – How to get the deal agreed – Deal Structure & Terms; Term Sheets, Shareholder Agreements;
- Post Investment – The adventure is just starting, you have invested but what now? How to guide your investment to success including managing follow-on funding;
- Exit – keeping everyone focused on the end goal and how to facilitate the exit process and the creation of Entrepreneurial Wealth.
Example Case Studies
- Developing and running a series of Training Events on “Strategic Investing” for Business Angels in New Zealand, November 2012.
- Leading the Caribbean Business Angel Advisory Programme (under The Entrepreneurship Program for Innovation in the Caribbean – EPIC) to enable the development of Angel Investing as a principal source of financing for innovative Caribbean enterprises, 2014/2015
If you would like to talk to Nelson about engaging his expertise in any of these areas please do get in touch by completing your details on the contact page.